Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I Got The Call and It's Official...

Not only have I recently celebrated an emothional birthday (see "Happy Birthday To Me,") ...but my doctor's office called last week.  They wanted to let me know that my blood test came back and I was officially in MENAPAUSE!  Now in the back of my mind, I was expecting this phone call and I could of guessed the results, but to actually here the words out loud was surreal.  And did the 25 year old medical assistant who delivered the news to me even know the impact of her words?   There was no "hi how are you," or "why don't you sit down before I tell you this."  She just blurted out "You are in Menapause."  No congratulations, are you okay or even instructions of what to do.  So there I was, with the phone by my ear trying to think of anything to say so she wouldn't hang up just in case she had a revelation of what to say to me next.  When I asked if there was anything I should do, she said my ovaries would now shrival up, if I had hot flashes I couldn't live with call  the office and we'll see you next year for your yearly appointment. Wait, go back, my ovaries would shrival up. She said that as casually as if she was telling me the lunch specials for the day.
Now, it's not like I was planning on having any more babies (my kids would be so embarrased to hear me say that) and don't get me wrong, I am sure not complaining about never having my period again and all associated with that  (yea, I can now wear my white pants all summer long without having to replan my outfit if it turns out to be "that time of the month"),  but it seemed so final.  I just entered another one of those milestone times in life.  They sure seem to be happening a lot lately.  There is no going back.  It is another indication that I am getting older.  I now have one less thing in common with my younger female friends.  I can't sit with them and binge on chocolate talking about my cramps, moods and bloating.  I know physically that is a good thing, but emotionally it is one more thing I have to get used to. 

Now my husband on the other hand isn't fazed by this.  He still feels he has to deal with my moods, and emotional ups and downs.  How could he or any other man understand.  As I have told him, his hormones have been the same since I have known him.  We woman get periods, get pregnant, go through perimenapause and menapause.  Our bodies are constantly changing.  So for now, I will rely on my friends to get through this time and learn to enjoy the next phase of life.

I may not get my period anymore, but that is no reason to give up my chocolate indulgences.  Except now, there is no excuse for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment