Monday, July 9, 2012

Happy Birthday To Me!

So it was my birthday last week. I always remember when it is, but I do sometimes forget how old I am going to be.  I never understood when "older people" couldn't remember their age, but sometimes it really does become a blur.  I still can't believe my age begins with the number five in front of it.  But lately, even though my head thinks I can still be like the 30 somethings, my joints are begininning to tell me different!

But this birthday was  different for me.  I did remember my age.  I knew what was coming up and I think I may of even been more anxious for it then when I turned 50.  You see, my mom died at 53.  Yea, 53! When I was 23 she died of colon cancer.  What in the heck was that.  In 1985 no one even knew what that was.  Anyway, losing my mom was such an emotional time in my life, but since she was "old" to me, people die.

Fast forward 27 years and now I am turning 53 and I have a 24 year old daughter.  It is like I am looking at my life in reverse.  When I look at my daughter, I can't even imagine how really young I was to lose my mom.  And now that I am 53 I can not even imagine how really young my mom was to die.  

So for all these years, I have grown up with the mindset that you die at 53.  I didn't know anything past then.  My husband would talk about retirement, traveling, the kids getting married, being grandparents, etc., and I would listen and nod my head, but would not imagine myself as part of those plans.  I never thought about what I would do when I was older, what kind of job I would have or how I would enjoy life.  I thought it would end at 53.   

Well the day has come and gone.  I am still here and hopefully wiser about my health.  I now know I can plan all those things I wanted to look forward to, like traveling, enjoying my adult children and someday being a grandmother.  It is like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders that I can do things again since I made it to 53 and am able to think about my life ahead.

So make an appointment TODAY for a colonoscopy.  Do it by the time you are 50 or earlier if you have a family history.   It is a lifesaving test. Now go out and enjoy your future!!

No comments:

Post a Comment