Saturday, August 27, 2011

From Familiar to Unfamiliar

Well, it has been a little over a week now that I have officially called myself an emptynester.  It still hasn't totally sunk in.  When I get home from work I know someone will be home, but they aren't, or when we are eating dinner someone will run downstairs to eat with us, but they don't.  Or I know in the morning, someone will be sleeping late which is why we haven't seen them yet, but it isn't.

I am still at the stage where I have to actually stop and think where everyone is and grasp my mind on it.  I know at some point it will be normal, but I am not there yet.  I guess the cat has noticed a difference in the house also.  He has been following me around everywhere, even upstairs.  That is not an easy task when you are a 15 year old cat that weighs 29 lbs (yes, that is not a typo).  So I'm not going to lie and say a few tears haven't been shed.  The problem is that between all the kids leaving and going through perimenopause, I don't know which tears are for what. 

I guess what really does help and makes this journey possible to move forward is knowing all the kids are really doing great in their new lifestyles.  Married life is really agreeing with my son and daughter-in-law.  My oldest daughter is flourishing in her new job and the the youngest is still taking some time to get used to college life, but she is really moving in the right direction.

As for me and my husband, we will make it.  The house is a little more quiet now.  I have been able to begin catching up on things I have wanted to do for the past 24 years and guess I can watch all the food shows I want since we don't have to have i carley on.

So for now, the familiar that I once knew has become the unfamiliar to me.  I know eventually this will become the norm and once again soon, what I now know of life will be familiar.  But for now, I wouldn't mind the TV on loud with Spongebob, dishes in the sink, other kids eating our food and multiple shoes and back packs on the floor so I can trip just once more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment