Sunday, January 30, 2011

Stay Focused!

We just went last night to look at a restaurant we want to use for the rehearsal dinner for my son's wedding.  We were limited on our choices because of the distance of the wedding and the various locations the wedding party will be coming from.  We ate dinner at the restaurant, talked to the General Manager, looked at the event space and was really pleased with what we saw.  We loved the ambiance, and the food was great.  I was just skeptical in the beginning since it was a restaurant in a strip mall next to a McDonald's and pizza place.  Well, at least when we walked in the restaurant it was so quaint that I forgot I was able to get a Big Mac next door.

So with that decision of where the rehersal dinner will be taken care of it got me thinking.  With all the out-of-town guests coming in for the wedding, that means there are more meals than just the rehearsal dinner to take care of.  More events to plan.  Now I love entertaining, planning the menus, themes, food and even preparing the dishes.  I think this is where I am going to have to learn to delegate and let go.  I want to be able to live in the moment and enjoy it.  I will not be able to "take care of everyone" like I usually do.  I will have to have other people cook and get trays from the grocery store and have take-out brought in.  This is all new to me.  I don't want to spend all my time cooking and cleaning, but this is what I have always wanted to do for my family and friends.  I hope I can find the balance I will need to enjoy everything.  I just wish it was spread out more in a 3 month time frame and not 3 days. 

Why is it when it rains it pours.  I have not seem some of my family and friends for years.  (The one good thing about that is it must mean there have been no funerals lately, since that is when people seem to get together).  I will get to entertain, visit with friends, enjoy my family, witness my son getting married...all in 72 hours.  Wow.  That sounds exhausting and exhilarating all at the same time.  One other reason my emotions are all over the board, as I have mentioned in past blogs.

I read my horoscope today (I only believe in horoscopes when they pertain to me).  It said "You have some big goals, and you will be able to achieve them only if you stay focused."  STAY FOCUSED!  Are you kidding me.  I think my mind is part perimenopause and part ADD.  It is not easy to stay focused.  And since I am not brought up to speed with blackberries, i-pads, i-pods, i-touch, twitters,tweeters, my space and face book, I will have to carry around my pink paper journal try to remember to write all my notes down, long hand just to stay focused!

The wedding weekend doesn't even take into account the high school graduation and bon voyage party I will be planning for my two daughters!  I know I can do it...now I just want to enjoy it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment