Friday, January 28, 2011

The Wedding: One of the Upcoming Milestones

"Every mother hopes that her daughter will marry a man as good as she did-and is convinced that her son will never find a wife as good as his father did". -Martin Anderson-Nexo

It's quite a busy summer and if I were to guess, I think I am going through three major events in a matter of three months.  Now don't get me wrong, as I have said before, I am so lucky to have the family and life I have.  But I was never good at crossing milestones, even when they are all good.  As a mom, these are all the things I wanted for my kids, but it is also what has brought me to the place I am today...pondering my future life.

My son will be getting married in July.  We are so lucky to have his fiance be part of our life.  She is wonderful and we couldn't be luckier.  And I adore her, because you know how sketchy those mother-in-law/daughter-in-law relationships can be.  I am trully blessed that her and I have the relationship that we have.  It was hard in the beginning for me.  You see I have one son.  I know how it is with a boy.  You are the first important woman in his life.  Then he found her and I knew I was dropped down to second place.  While they were dating I had two big reality checks.  The first was when we were all at a restaurant together getting to know each other.  I would always leave some food on my plate and my son would just lean over and finish what I had.  I always made it a point to leave something on my plate...whether I was still hungry or not.  Maybe it was my way of feeling like I was still taking care of him even as he got older.  But then, it happened...I did not even see it coming.  He started eating the leftovers off of HER plate and not MINE.  I shoved my plate a little closer to him, but now he did not even notice.  It was HER leftovers he wanted now!  Now on another occasion of being hit with the fact that things have changed was when my son needed to get a pair of glasses.  The three of us went together (I thought I was invited for my opinion, but would later come to find out it was because I was paying) to pick glasses out for him.  He had many pairs he was going to try on.  When he put the first on I was about to tell him what I thought (of course that he looked great in them) when suddenly he turned to her and asked for HER opinion and not mine.  I now realized I had to share HIM with another woman.  My voice was not the first for opinions or help he would go to.  This all might seem so innocent on the surface, and in the natural progression of life, this is how things should be.  But it was these little signs that reminded me I did not have him for much longer.  There was someone else stepping in.

Now, after saying all that, I am happy and proud for my son.  I am excited for his future he is building for himself.  He has turned into a handsome young man.  He graduated college, got a great job and is a very responsible, loving person who is beginning a nice life with his soon-to-be wife.  I am truly happy for him and do feel he is taking the values and morals we taught him into his adult life.  I know I am really not losing a son, but gaining a daughter-in-law.

It is just one of the milestones which is bringining me one step closer to my empty nest days.

No comments:

Post a Comment