Monday, January 31, 2011

She Loves Me/She Hates Me

"By the time I realized my mother was right, I had a daughter who thought everything I did was wrong". -Anonymous

Can you have multiple emotions at the same time?  And can they change from minute to minute.  I think this is how my oldest daughter feels about me.  She loves me one minute, and hates me the next.  My guess is because we are so much alike that we are constantly butting heads...and we are so much alike that we have so much in common.  High school was tumultuous but I thought it was just the teenage years.  She went to college and I talked to her more than ever.  We even saw each other a lot.  I thought we were passed all the "stuff."

Two months before she graduated college, she met a boy.  We were really excited and she seemed to be very happy.  Now there are 20,000 students that went to her school.  Mostly within a 250 mile radius.  She happened to meet the one student who was more than 250 miles away...more like 2,500 miles away.  And since he still had another year of college she was going to live at home, work, save money and just go back and forth to be with him.  That is where the, "she hates me" comes in.  She doesn't feel at 23 we should have any say about when she comes in or out.  She's right.  Only thing is she still lives with us.  Well, she has assured me, much to my dismay, that she will be gone by the time she is 24.  She is planning on moving to Arizona with her boyfriend.  Oh and did I mention, that is right after my son gets married and moves with his wife and my other daughter will of left for college. 

My only conciliation to all this is that hopefully, we will be back to the "she loves me" part of our relationship!  But what can I say.  I remember sitting in my parents kitchen in 1981 telling them I was moving from our house in Chicago all the way to Los Angeles to be with my boyfriend (who has now been by husband for 29 years).  I never thought I would be on the other end of that conversation all these years later.  I know she will be fine and she is a hard worker and really lights up when she talks about her boyfriend.  I am just afraid her life will be set up in Arizona and this will not be her "home" anymore.

I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment