Sunday, February 6, 2011

Getting Off Topic

Life isn't a destination-it's a journey.  We all come upon unexpected curves and turning points, mountaintops and valleys.  Everything that happens to us shapes who we are becoming.  And in the adventure of each day, we discover the best in ourselves.  -Anonymous

When I began this blog, I thought I would be writing about my kids and my husband.  I was going to write about the upcoming next few months and my concerns for the uncertainty of becoming an empty nest mom.

But somehow I got off topic.  As I started writing, I saw this journey going in another direction.  I was not just thinking of the road that lies ahead for me when all my kids are gone from the nest, but where I have come from to get to this place.  Chronicling my thoughts on becoming an empty nester has now began a personal journey on the life I have had leading up to this.

I have always believed things happen for a reason.  Sometimes you know the reason right away and sometimes it takes years to have your "ah ha" moment.  I am still sorting a lot of things out in my life, still asking why for some events and why not for others.

Probably the single most important event in my life that affected the person I am today is the day my mom died.  It changed me forever and I know I am a different person for it.  I thought life was so unfair that she was taken away from me when I was so young.  I can only hope that by going through that day 26 years ago, it is one of the things that really made me the mom I am today.  I knew not to take anything for granted in life and with my kids.  I enjoyed every stage of their life and never wished time to move quickly...whether is was the terrible two's or the teenage years.   I didn't want to miss any of it.

And the relationship with my kids, especially with my girls, was so important to me because of what I knew I lost.  For every rolling of the eyes I got from my kids, or every disagreement we had, I think they still knew how much they were loved.

That will never change.  No matter how far away they may live or whoever they will be with, they will always be loved in my heart forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment